Attention all underground Artists
Attention all underground ArtistsAttention all underground ArtistsTrademark your band/label name. It’s the first thing you should do if you want to be in the business. Log on to: http://www.uspto.gov/main/trademarks.htm. It’s free with the US Patent and Trademark Office.
· Obtain Licensing for samples or covers. Any sample used on a track needs to be cleared with the holder of the copyright. A sample used without permission is considered stealing!
· Copyright your songs and recordings!!! Check out www.loc.gov/copyright.com or contact the Library of Congress to get an SR form. You can use this form to protect your interest in both the composition, as well as the recording. It’s $30 per registration form.
· Join ASCAP or BMI, which represent songwriters. They collect money from the businesses that play the music and pay the money as royalties to the composers and songwriters of the songs that get played. Log on to ASCAP.org or BMI.com.
· Register your release with SoundScan @ www.soundscan.com.
· Register your single with Broadcast Data Solutions (BDS) to document your airplay. Contact them at Broadcast Data Systems, 5055 Wilshire Blvd, 7th Floor. Los Angeles, CA90036, 323-525-2280.